How to stop your Kitchen Sink from Smelling
A kitchen should smell welcoming and pleasant. However, from time to time you might find your nose scrunching up at the pungent smells coming out of your kitchen sink. Despite the sink strainers and garbage disposals you may use religiously, food bits, fats and other slimy things seem to always make their way down the drain. Food debris may be stuck in the pipes or in the garbage disposal. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to fix this type of smelly issue.
Follow these simple steps to get your kitchen smelling fresh again:
- Remove the sink strainer and wash away any debris on it. Generally wipe down the surrounding area of any food bits or gunk that may be causing the smell.
- Pour some baking soda into the drain (1/4 a cup for smaller sinks) and follow it with a cup of white vinegar. The mixture will bubble and fizz for a few minutes. Allow it to continue fizzing for up to 10 minutes. This mixture loosens food debris and deodorizes the pipes.
- Boil the kettle while this mixture is still working its magic. After it has boiled, pour it down the drain to flush out any debris and the baking soda solution.
- If you can still smell a funky scent, then it may be coming from below the sink. Check it out to see if there are any leaks or mould build up.
- For garbage disposals, you can fill the disposal with two cups of ice and one cup of coarse salt. This will clean and sharpen the blades while getting rid of any lingering food bits. You can also put small lemon peels down the shoot to be ground up. These will make your kitchen smell lemon fresh.
If you find your sink still smells and the water drains slowly, there may be a blockage. Our team of professionals can come out to your property and use one of our mini cameras to locate the source of the problem. These specialised cameras can provide a clear colour picture and LCD lighting for pipes between 25mm and 75mm. Find out more about our plumbing inspections.
If your sink is blocked, you can check out our sink unblocking guide. Learn more about our CCTV drain inspection services to find the right solution for your problem. Contact us today to discuss a solution for your drainage issues on 09 392 7789.